Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Has A DJ Ever Made You Angry?

My last blog got under some peoples skin.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is a link http://voices.mysanantonio.com/dominiquegarcia/2009/09/kanye-west-lady-gaga-concert-c.html

So I wanted to clarify things. That was NOT my intention. I have always been known to have radical opinionated views and not a lot of people can handle or accept them. But that is irrelevant. Some people were trying to put my head on a pole.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Just because I do not like Kanye, does that make me a bad person? If you said yes I feel sorry for you.

So making some people upset with my blog got me thinking. It reminded me of a time when I was apart of a situation where I helped make a LOT of people angry.

Rewind to December of 2006


I was one part of the KXXM Mix 96.1 night show hosted by Mo Bounce and interned by Bobby "Bandcamp" Baiza in San Antonio, Texas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To make a long story short we made a huge deal that on Friday of that week we were going to make a huge announcement. We even promoted it for a couple of weeks telling people to tune in at a certain time. That Friday we said that our huge announcement was that Santa was not real. Being how we said this between 8pm and 9pm on a Friday night 3 days before Christmas did not sit well with a lot of people whose children had head the announcement.

We had people call into the radio station cussing us out. Some people even contacted the station management etc. After it was all said and done I asked myself...

"What if my kids heard on air that Santa wasn't real?"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I acknowledged I would have been angry as well.

Which brings me to the point of this blog, "Has a DJ ever made you angry?"

This seems to be a very touchy subject with a certain select few. I've once heard one DJ give a shout out to a guy who's woman he stole from him. Not very cool. Needless to say when that guy heard one day that DJ was at so in so remote location broadcasting, the guy went to pay the DJ a visit. You can only imaging the confrontation that had happened. And yes someone did go to jail for assault.

There have even been reports of radio DJs being murdered for angering people.

Okay killing a radio DJ who has made you angry is definitely taking it over the line. But what would you do if a radio DJ made you angry? Would you do nothing? Would you never listen again? Would you contact the station management? Or are you that type pf person who would wait in the parking lot waiting for that DJ to come on out? (By the way if you do that you are going to jail so don't do it)

DOMINIQUE'S OPINION


If someone on air makes you angry the best thing you could do is not to listen again. That and or contacting management. But at the same time people need to understand that the DJs are looking for content to talk about each day. It is obvious that content is not always going to agree with everyone.

Also think of it like this, the DJ is trying to do one thing. ENTERTAIN! That in turn gets ratings. Very good ratings pretty much almost ensure that DJ will still have a job. If he or she makes you mad and enough people do not listen...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

they go away.

Also, stop taking what you hear on air so serious. If you do not agree with the views and opinions of what is being said that is perfectly okay. So unless what is said is racist or equally stupid, is it really worth time out of your day to get angry? I can certainly understand if something racist or sexist is said but if its just a DJ saying Kanye West is a dirt bag (dirt bag is the PG version) or if so in so is pernicious (also a PG version of the word I wanted to use) who cares?

I guess what I am trying to say is that the opinion of the person on the air should not alter your day. If someone makes you angry.... TURN THE RADIO OFF.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the most part most DJs are well aware of what will make people angry and most respect and do not cross that line. However there are always those bad apples who do not respect that and say what they will regardless if it makes people angry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment